Latest HSPP Updates
Highwood School MAY 22-24 Playground Build Days!
We are very excited to announce that our playground build days have been set for the second last weekend in May and that we will have a new playground before the end of the school year!
We will be building a brand new playground structure, installing new safety surfacing (gravel) and edge restraints. We will be incorporating low mounds, planting shade trees, building a boulder amphitheater, creating a rain garden, and renewing Daniel’s Dedication Garden.
* Notice: Starting May 12, the playground area will be fenced off. Attached is a map of the fenced off area that shows exactly where the fence will be. As a result, students will have limited access to the playground area and on some days, they will not be going outside at all for recess. This is to ensure that they are safe as there will be many big machines around to remove and take away our old playground and gravel. The fencing will stay in place until the end of the the playground build and once the playground has been safety checked.
Help Build Our New Highwood School Playground!
- Playground Build Volunteers Sign Up!
Mark your calendars – there is no experience required and everyone is welcome! Weather dependent, our busy fun-filled playground build days will be all day May 22, 23 & 24, 2015. An online SignUp with a detailed listing of build day volunteer opportunities is available at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080e4caca62aaa8-highwood1
- Fundraising is Ongoing
Of our original $250,000 goal, we are still fundraising for our projected shortfall of up to $5,000+ towards a new playground and revitalized play area for our children. Our original goal equates to raising about $125 per student. If you haven’t had a chance to support the playground yet, we welcome your participation now!
- In-kind Contributions Needed
From build materials like grass seed/sod, etc. or supplies of food, snacks, water, beverages or even raffle prizes for our volunteers. The loan of gardening tools (e.g. wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, pruners, shears, hand trowels, etc.) would also be appreciated. SignUp at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080e4caca62aaa8-highwood1
- Celebrate our Playground Grand Opening!
Planned as a fitting end to our June 19 School-Wide Sports Day, we hope all our many supporters, students, parents, donors and sponsors will join us to celebrate our year long journey to bring a new, safe revitalized playground & play area to Highwood!
We look forward to building our playground with you! THANK YOU in advance for your generous support!
Sincerely, Highwood School Council – Outdoor Improvements Committee
March 2015 HSPP Update
We have received some grant approvals as well as amazing support from our parent community that has helped move the project significantly forward towards our $250,000 goal!
- Highwood School Council/Friends of Highwood School Society allocated $57,000 from a previous Casino fundraising event.
- $43,000 cash and $22,000 in-kind donations were raised during a special Cheque Writing Campaign for the playground.
- $75,000 granted from our funding application for the Alberta Government’s Community Facility Enhancement Program (CFEP).
- $20,000 recently granted in March 2015 by Parks Foundation Calgary from their Building Playgrounds and Communities (BPC) Program.
- Total amount fundraised to date is approximately $195,000 in cash donations and $22,000 in-kind contributions.
Next Steps for Outdoor Improvements Committee
- Continue fundraising efforts and completing additional grant applications to secure remaining funds needed.
- Ongoing work with our playground supplier, Park N’ Play, to finalize the playground design (see next page for latest playground design proposal). Larger poster boards of the design can be viewed outside the Highwood School office. We welcome your comments at the contact information below.
- Organize and plan for our playground build in late May 2015.
How You Can Help!
To take our playground project from concept to reality, community support is essential and we welcome all types of support!
- Fundraising is Ongoing – Beyond the funding grants being applied for, we are hoping for support of parent and community members to help raise the projected shortfall of about $30,000+ which equates to raising about $125 per student. If you haven’t had a chance to support the playground yet, we welcome your participation now!
- Looking for In-kind Contributions – During the playground build, provide support with In-kind Services such as construction equipment (e.g. backhoes, trucks, landscaping equipment, garbage removal, etc.) and tools (e.g. shovels, wheelbarrows, etc.). Other contributions can include In-kind Goods such as prizes, food or beverages for volunteers on build days, or grass seed/ sod, etc.
- Be a Playground Build Volunteer – Mark your calendars! Weather dependent, our fun-filled playground build days will be during a weekend in late May 2015. Look for the online SignUp that will be sent out shortly!
If you would like to support HSPP with a donation please fill out & email this HSPP Donation form or this Pledge form or contact us at email@example.com about other ways you can be involved with the HSPP.
We look forward to growing our playground with you! THANK YOU in advance for your generous support!
Sincerely, Highwood School Council – Outdoor Improvements Committee
October 2014 HSPP Update
As the new school year rushes in, the Outdoor Committee is busy regrouping and getting organized for another busy year planning the Playground Project! We have several new and welcomed additions to the committee who are a huge blessing to help us with all the work ahead.
Just a quick summary of what was completed last year for our many new parents and those who need a quick refresher:
- Highwood School Playground Project (HSPP) initiated
- Overall concept plan developed for the playground and naturalization area
- Playground designs obtained by two suppliers and options presented to students & parents (students voted)
- Project budget established at approx. $250,000
- HSPP Communication Plan initiated – information about the project sent out via project website, brochure and school communications
- HSPP Fundraising Campaign started – goal to raise $50,000 through donations, in-kind contributions, fundraising partners and sponsorship opportunities
- Our fundraising goal was reached and surpassed with $64,000 raised ($42,000 cash and $22,000 in-kind). Thanks again to everyone who contributed!!
- Our application for the Alberta Government’s Community Facility Enhancement Program (CFEP) grant for $125,000 was submitted
At this time, we have not heard back about our CFEP grant status which is not anticipated to be known until later this year or early 2015. In the meantime, the committee will be busy with continued planning and additional grant applications to secure the remaining funds we need for the project.
Further updates and announcements on the project will be made throughout the school year. Thank you for your continued interest and generous support in this very important project!!
Highwood School Council/Friends of Highwood School Society
Outdoor Improvements Committee